young driver insurance

Getting Cheaper Young Driver Insurance

What is so good about Young Drivers Insurance? The word young drivers is used to describe people aged 17 to 25 who have either a provisional or full UK driving license. These licensees are usually under the age of 25. They can be young beginners, recent high school graduates, or those with many years of experience behind them. It’s important to remember that even professional drivers need to take out insurance cover for themselves and their car. Anyone driving without insurance risk their own lives and of others and could find themselves out of pocket should an accident occur.

However, as you build up a no claims bonus whilst keeping your insurance costs down, you may not need to bother with insuring your young driver insurance. You can, however, help to reduce the cost of this form of cover by ensuring they drive safely and obey the rules of the road. This can be achieved by installing an alarm system and maintaining a clean driving record. You can also take driving lessons which can further reduce the risk of being involved in an accident.

Car insurance is divided into two different sections; third party only and fully comprehensive. Third party only is taken out by young drivers who do not have much money to put towards a fully comprehensive policy. These motorists will pay a higher premium on their car insurance policy than more experienced drivers who do have enough money to afford a more comprehensive policy. You are able to reduce the cost of your car insurance policy if you agree to pay a higher excess, for example.

However, fully comprehensive insurance costs more than third party only. This means that drivers who have obtained this type of policy will be protected from the most common types of road accidents. However, fully comprehensive cover can also be quite expensive, particularly if you want to insure an expensive vehicle such as a sports car. The cost of fully comprehensive insurance also rises rapidly if you have a poor history or no history at all. Young drivers will not be eligible to apply for a reduced excess if they choose this type of insurance. If you have no driving convictions or other insurance problems relating to young drivers then you may also qualify for a reduced excess.

You can help yourself to keep down the cost of your insurance by ensuring that you tell the insurer you will be taking out the policy on behalf of someone else, this way you can insure your partner or child for a reduced amount. In many cases you will find that voluntary excess is offered at a discount and you should seriously consider it if you want to keep the cost of your insurance down. The voluntary excess is the amount you must pay towards repairs before your policy kicks in and this is usually around 10% of the cost of the insurance. You can increase your level of voluntary excess by taking part in a course of professional care and you can also take part in a course of basic or advanced motoring education. The level of voluntary excess is set out on the insurance policy and is usually equal to two times the amount of the third party’s liability cover, so if you insure your partner’s car with the same company that insures your own then you can save on the premiums.

Another way of reducing the cost of insurance for young drivers is to offer to take part in a voluntary course. This is usually free, but it is important that you complete the course and successfully pass the exams. If you successfully complete the course then you will have gained valuable experience and you will be able to command a higher level of premium. If you want to reduce the cost of your premiums even more then you should consider adding on some voluntary features to your policy. For example, if you are a new driver then you can take on a more extensive and involved course.

Third party only is the dearest type of insurance policy for younger motorists but this type does not provide cover for any injuries that may occur. If you are involved in an accident and it was caused by the car of the other driver then this type of policy will pay out. It is also worth taking out third party fire and theft on your car, as this provides the most protection for your possessions. However, it is essential that you understand that this type of cover does not cover your own car. You are not covered for damages incurred by an intruder into your property.

A further type of insurance cover that you could take out is breakdown cover. This will pay out if you breakdown anywhere within the duration of your policy. There are two choices open to you. You can take a third party or comprehensive breakdown cover, depending on which is the cheapest. Although this provides very useful cover it does not protect against accidents and should not be relied upon if you are a young driver or only take occasional breaks.