Council tax is usually a major priority debt as the council always has strong legal powers to compel you to pay. This basically means that you must pay council tax on a regular basis before paying other non-priority debts including unsecured loans or credit cards. Unfortunately, the council is often forced to increase rates to cover for their irresponsible borrowing habits. With the housing crisis currently threatening the financial security of many people and the cost of living on a declining scale, council tax continues to mount up at an alarming rate.

council tax debt

How do we deal with the council tax debt? The first step is to contact a Citizens Advice Bureau, which is based in your locality. A CAB can advise you on how to reduce your council tax liability. You must supply them with as much information as possible in order to obtain this information. Once you have contacted us and given us the required information, we will begin our investigation into your situation.

An IVA is the most common way of tackling council tax debt. An IVA is a contract between yourself and the CAB. If this IVA is agreed upon by both parties, the CAB will pay the agreed amount of money to the debtor within a fixed period of time. In order to be qualified for an IVA, you will need to have been unable to make any further council tax payments for two years.

If your property needs repairs to meet the council’s needs, the bailiff will visit your premises and give you a notice that states that you are in arrears. The bailiff will also instruct him or her to fetch the money that is owed from your property and then apply for an auction. When the bailiff has obtained the money, he will either clear the arrears from your property or resell it to the council for payment. This process of obtaining money from your property is called clearing arrears.

If you do not want to pay the money back, you can choose to make an appeal against the decision of the magistrates’ court. This will mean that you will have to attend court. The appeal must be made within one month of the date of the original calculation. There is a small fee for this service. This can be paid online via a simple form that can be downloaded from the website of the council. If you are unable to appear in court, the magistrates’ court may dismiss your appeal.

A fact sheet outlining your council tax debt and its relation to your assets can be produced by the bailiff. This document is used for the calculation of the council tax liability. The information provided on the fact sheet will include your age, address, whether you are the main wage earner in your household, whether you or anyone in the household has a power of sale and if so how much of a power of sale is owned by each of you. This information will also include any current liabilities such as court fines and back tax payments. Any assets that are jointly held and not jointly owned are also entered onto the fact sheet.

If you do not pay, you can request that a default notice is served on you. A default notice is issued by the council at your expense asking you to make the repayment of your council tax debt by a certain date. You can choose to appeal against this request if you do not agree with the decision. Alternatively, you can request that a warrant of a court be issued charging you with contempt of court. A warrant can only be issued for one year and you would lose your freedom to go about your business if you were to ignore the warrant.

If you need more help, there are a number of people who can offer advice and assistance to help you get out of debt. One of these people is a bailiff. A bailiff is someone who can legally serve documents to collect outstanding council tax debts. They can also legally carry out collection actions in order to recover your outstanding amounts. Bailiffs may not take control of your home or possessions but they will legally have the ability to do so should you refuse to repay what you owe.